Saturday, November 22, 2014

Out of the Woods

Welcome to part four of my seventeen part discussion of Taylor Swift's "1989" album (I do consider myself a highly verbose super-fan so that doesn't seem excessive in the least.)

This was the second song released early from "1989" because Taylor thought it was more representative of the general sound of the album than "Shake It Off" (and I agree.) It is a collaboration with Jack Antonoff and the lyrics seem to point at it being inspired by Harry Styles as we will examine.

Overall I really like the song though I empathize with people who find the chorus too repetitive. Taylor described it as capturing the anxiety in a relationship where you're always fighting to be together and I hear that but I understand people who don't like it.

The case for About Harry (compiled from the more fervent 1D fans as I was mostly interested in him when he intersected with Taylor):
-"Last December" - the time frame when they were linked together
-"Your necklace hanging from my neck" - pictures of a necklace on both of them
-"Two paper airplanes flying" - said necklace looks like a paper airplane
-"Twenty stitches in a hospital room" - apparently Harry has a new scar? I'm a bit fuzzy on this one.

One last point is possibly my favorite part of the song, immortalized below. I like the whole sound in general but the way that this line has been rendered makes it one of the most vivid lyrical moments from the album: "The rest of the world was black and white/But we were in screaming color."
Found on Pinterest
Next week: "All You Had to Do Was Stay"

No comments:

Post a Comment