Saturday, November 8, 2014

Blank Space

Today is part two of my seventeen part discussion of Taylor Swift's "1989" album. Last week I shared briefly about opening track "Welcome to New York," which underwhelmed me despite feeling like it set a positive tone for the album. Today I am happy to be writing about a song I really like, "Blank Space."

I've seen this song frequently identified as a standout and it is the second official single from the album. In interviews Taylor has shared that this song is sort of a sarcastic gibe at media who write about her love life (remember the infamous shirt listing the names of guys she has allegedly been involved with?) with the killer line "Got a long list of ex-lovers/they'll tell you I'm insane/but I got a blank space, baby/and I'll write your name." (I really feel like I should add a wink to the end of that sentence.) I love the cockier attitude Taylor displays here in direct contrast to a lot of media portrayals, which show her as a girl whose heart is constantly broken like a passive victim. This is definitely a song I'll have on repeat for a while and I can't wait to see the video!

Source
Next week: "Style"

1 comment:

  1. I've been kind of on the fence about Taylor Swift in general (don't hurt me) but my family watches the Voice and she's recently been a mentor on the show. I'm so impressed by her mentoring - she comes off as smart and really funny. Have not listened to any of 1989 but maybe that's next ;)

    ReplyDelete